Our HistoryFrom the Presbyterian tradition, St. John's has been faithful to its Presbyterian roots with the study of scripture as a starting place to see God, the importance of elders and teaching, and in the belief that all people are equal and free before God.
In the year 1838, a group of Presbyterians in Moncton came together and formed what was to become St. Johnís Church. As with most young Churches in this era there were many struggles. The small congregation met in the Free Meeting House for twenty years. In 1857 the first church building was constructed on Mountain Road. The congregation quickly outgrew this building and voted to construct a new church on the corner of Alma and Victoria Streets. This building was erected in 1915. After two destructive fires, the present building was built and opened in 1915.
In the year 1925, the Methodist, Congregational, and Presbyterian Churches in Canada merged to become the United Church of Canada. St. John's Presbyterian, with a vote of 473 for union and 56 against, became St. Johnís United Church. The building saw many changes and improvements over the ensuing years including the construction of an eighty-seat Chapel. The Sanctuary, however, with its many stained-glass windows, has remained basically the same.
St. Johnís United Church is subject to the oversight and discipline of the United Church of Canada; namely the Chignecto Presbytery, the Maritime Conference, and the General Council of the United Church Of Canada.
A history of the congregation is available in book form from the church office.
Listen to our latest service:
Oct 15th, 2017
Worship begins at 11:00 a.m.
All are welcome.
We know that walking through church doors can be intimidating.
(There's lot of room to sit in the balcony!)
75 Alma St.,
Click for map
Tel: (506) 858-8289